Re: sniffer/promisc detector

  • From: Dave Israel
  • Date: Wed Jan 21 15:59:31 2004

Clipped for brevity...

On 1/21/2004 at 10:52:00 +0000, [email protected] said:

> obscurity".
> >> Yes, it is wrong for the _smart books_. But it works in real life.
>
> >Actually, an automated script or manual scan can find it trivially.
>
> If security through obscurity was useless then the USAF
> would never have developed the stealth bomber. [...]

Yes.  But making a bomber "stealth" means designing it to be difficult
to detect by an opponent.  It doesn't mean painting "I am Not a
Bomber, I Am The Ice Cream Man" on the side and hoping nobody takes a
second glance at it.

Somebody else pointed out that nmap in its basic mode isn't terribly
fast.  That's true.  But redesigning for speed wouldn't be that hard.
Scan lots of ports in parallel, checking just for an ACK back from a
SYN, then go through those that responded in order of likelihood (22,
then unassigned ports, then assigned ones), and having it stop when it
finds ssh, and you reduce the time required by several orders of
magnitude.  And that's assuming you don't have the help of tons of
zombies.  If everybody tries to get obscure with their ports, then
this will become common, and it will be the people who are
legitimately trying to connect who get annoyed by the obscurity.  And
if you're only trying to provide services for members of your
organization, a VPNish solution makes a lot more sense than
complicated custom port juggling.

So, okay, sure, like many other things, if a small number of clueful
people are doing this, then they will reap benefits for it.  If it
becomes widely spread practice, there will be more harm than good from
it, and people will start ignoring it, working around it, and/or
taking direct action against it that will render it pointless or
harmful to the user.  Lots of things have hit this death and been
forgotten or relegated back to the fringe.  I'll risk the wrath of
many and mention multicast.  Somewhere out there, Randy Bush is
probably thinking of his vision of the future of deaggregated /24s.

-Dave