Re: Nachi/Welchia Aftermath

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Jan 20 21:12:56 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

> > > Flow-based: Foundry with IronCore modules, Cisco Catalyst 6500 with
> Sup1(A)
> > > Prefix-based: Foundry with JetCore modules, Cisco Catalyst 6500/7600
> with
> > > Sup2(A), Sup3(A/BXL)
> > Where do the Extreme and Juniper fit into this?
>
> Private and public answers to my question indicate that both Summit 48i and
> Black Diamond from Extreme are flow-based; Juniper doesn't make layer 3
> switches, but their routers also do prefix-based forwarding; Cisco routers
> also do prefix-based forwarding at usual configurations.
>
> Also of notice, flow-based forwarding is not the only thing that makes a L3
> device suffer at worm attacks. If a directly connected interface is an
> Ethernet (or any other medium that is not point to point), ARPing for a lot
> of new addresses per second can also do harm.

Nearly. Any frames needing to go to the CPU will harm your box.. this tends to
be L2 occurances (arp storms is one ) which therefore means connected ethernets.
DoSing (L3 IP eg smurf) a router will usually hurt and if you can manage it
higher level applications (announce/withdraw 1000s routes in BGP, fill up NAT
tables). Of course your architectures differ so ymmv.

Steve