Nachi/Welchia Aftermath

  • From: Brent Van Dussen
  • Date: Tue Jan 20 17:25:17 2004

Well folks, since the middle of August I've been tracking the spread and subsequent efforts by our community to stop the nachia/welchia infection that took down so many networks.

Sadly, by my estimations, only about 20-30% of infected hosts were cleaned. After Jan 1, 2004 it appears that the thousands, (millions?) of remaining infected hosts were rebooted and the worm removed itself. Network traffic has finally returned to normal.

What kind of effects did everyone see from this devastating worm and what lessons did we learn for preventing network downtime in the future?