Re: New IPv4 Allocation to ARIN

  • From: william
  • Date: Fri Jan 16 17:51:11 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 [email protected] wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Petri Helenius wrote:
>
> > >I wouldn't be surprised if more people are filtering 69/8 now than before,
> > >roughly 40% of the spam hitting my servers is from there.
>
> That's likely going to be true of each newly allocated block as spammers
> move around, move into them, or even scam the RIRs into allocating IPs
> directly to them.

As spamming operations became more cetralized and necessary harware to
actually get any results increased (send 100,000,000 instead of 100,000
emails to get the same result) and at the same time the requirements for
direct allocations decreased from RIRs (was /19, now /21 used is generally
enough to get /20), the spamming operations can now qualify for ip blocks
and ARIN and other RIRs are neutral as far as what ips are used for and
have to assign them.

At the same time all large spammers operate with multiple companies,
setup legally they do it:
1. To try to get new lines & contracts from ISPs
2. To avoid being found and traced by antispam activists
3. To avoid responsibility when they get into legal problem and to avoid
   paying penalty fees when ISPs cancel contract

Legally I doubt RIRs have much of a choice as all these spam fronts are
setup as separate companies and contracts are moved from one company to
another to qualify them for ip block. But if you look more closely, the
hardware is also often moved (but not always), however that is probably
not enough for RIRs to deny the transfer on grounds that its existing
company, plus RIRs really don't ever get into such specifics.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks