Re: PC Routers (was Re: /24s run amuck)

  • From: Nicole
  • Date: Thu Jan 15 22:06:06 2004

On 15-Jan-04 Unnamed Administration sources reported Vadim Antonov said :

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Getting to 1mpps on a single router today will probably be hard. However,
>> I've been considering implementing a "clustered router" architecture,
>> should scale pps more or less linearly based on number of "PCs" or
>> "routing nodes" involved. I'm not sure if discussion of that is on-topic
>> here, so maybe better to take it offline.
>
> This is exactly what Pluris PC-based proof-of-concept prototype did in 97.
> PCs were single-board 133MHz P-IIs, running custom forwarding code on bare
> metal, yielding about 120kpps per board, or 1.9Mpps per cage.
>
> In the production box CPU-based forwarding was replaced with ASICs, 1Gbps
> hybrid optical/electrical butterfly/hypercube interconnect was replaced
> with 12Gbps optical hypercube interconnect, otherwise architecture was
> unchanged.  That was a total overkill which was one of the reasons the
> company went down.
>
> --vadim

 I used to work with an Ascend GRF (goes real fast) Router that was nothing
more than a hacked BSD os running on a hard drive at first then they moved to a
flash card that controlled some custom switching hardware. But all the
functions were via the BSD os and I think it just used Gated.

 Sounds very similiar.

  Nicole

                     |\ __ /|   (`\
                     | o_o  |__  ) )
                    //      \\
 -  [email protected]  -  Powered by FreeBSD  -
 " Daemons" will now be known as "spiritual guides"
-Politically Correct UNIX Page

"Witchcraft is in essence the worship of the powers of this world,
 beautiful and terrible, but all in a circle under the turning sky
 that is the One."     -C.A. Burland, "Echoes of Magic"

"Connecting with energy is something humans have to be open
 to and talking about and expecting,  otherwise the whole human
 race can go back to pretending that life is about power over others
 and exploiting the planet.  If we go back to doing this,
 then we won't survive."      -James Redfield, "The Celestine Prophecy"