Re: /24s run amuck

  • From: Simon Leinen
  • Date: Thu Jan 15 16:35:02 2004

Frank Louwers writes:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 04:12:13PM -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> Filtering on a /20 or whatever (up to /24) is a bad thing because
> RIPE (and maybe APNIC) actually gives out /24 PI space, that comes
> out of RIPE's /8's, not your upstream's /20 or /16 or /whatever...

Yes, but those PIs are allocated from specific sub-ranges that are
documented.  So you can still filter MOST of the space by allocation
boundaries, and accept /24 only in the "PI" ranges.  We do this.

This is RIPE-specific (we aggregate most non-RIPE routes under
0.0.0.0/0), but other RIRs may have similar policies, although
probably with easier-to-find PI swamp ranges.
--
Simon.