RE: PC Routers (was Re: /24s run amuck)

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Thu Jan 15 07:46:04 2004

--- Michel Py <[email protected]>
wrote:
> If you have vendor C or vendor J, and all vendor C
> or J routers crap out
> at the same time, you're safe. Yes, you were down
> but so was half of the
> rest of the world, so it's obviously not your fault
> but vendor C or J's
> fault.

> Michel.

But this doesn't reflect the way the problems tend to
spread: I've seen cases where something which crushes
C gets injected, carried by Js across a network, and
trashes all of the Cs in the network.  However, it
didn't spread to other providers, because the problem
was { too many /32s | weird masks | an IGP messup | a
J bug }

For a problem to spread to other networks, it has to
be perpendicular to the actual BGP configs, because
most carriers apply just enough filtering on their
peers to keep garbage like that out.  Problems like
that seem to be mostly customer-initiated.  The ones
that spread seem to be M$ related...

-David Barak
-Fully RFC 1925 Compliant-

=====