Re: PC Routers (was Re: /24s run amuck)

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Jan 14 18:10:25 2004
On 14 Jan 2004, at 17:49, [email protected] wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

Have been discussing PCs for a bit but as yet not deployed one, as I
understand it a *nix based PC running Zebra will work pretty fine but
has the constraints that:

o) It has no features - not a problem for a lot of purposes
Which "no features"? I haven't played with zebra yet, but my
understanding is that it supports a large subset of the IOS BGP config
language including application of route-maps to incoming/outgoing routes,
and therefore things like prepending, setting metrics or preference, etc.
Am I mistaken?
It is my impression that Zebra is pretty feature-rich.

There are some things that are difficult for Zebra to do since they relate to (absent) capabilities in the host kernel, though; RFC 2385 requires the host to support the TCP MD5 Signature option, for example, and most do not.

Joe