Re: /24s run amuck

  • From: Steve Francis
  • Date: Tue Jan 13 16:02:23 2004

Patrick W.Gilmore wrote:

On Jan 13, 2004, at 2:19 PM, Steve Francis wrote:

I'll take some education - given two POP's, different upstream ISPs at each POP, and a desire to have traffic for specific networks (/24) enter a specific POP, can that be done without de-aggregation?
We are not doing this ourselves - we're not yet big enough to have our own aggregate blocks, but if we did, we could not just announce a /20 at each POP, and transit the traffic back to the appropriate datacenter ourselves. We're an ASP, and do not have real links between POP's, only VPN's.

If we used consistent upstreams at each POP, we could do it by announcing specific /24's with no-export communities, but a consistent set of ISPs are not available at each of the colo's we are in.

Is there some other trick I'm missing?

If you can't take the traffic from Site A to Site B, why are you announcing the /24s to the world? Why not just use a /24 from the upstream in each location and not force everyone else on the Internet to see your /24 which only has one path?
It doesn't have just one path. Multiple (different) ISPs at each location.