Re: /24s run amuck

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Tue Jan 13 13:59:47 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:26:59PM -0500, Patrick W.Gilmore wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2004, at 9:58 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
> >
> >>Deaggregation is at an all time high, I have raised this publically in
> >>some forums and IXP ops lists. Response is poor, action is
> >>non-existent.
> >>
> >>The only way I can see to do anything about this is for upstreams to
> >>educate their customers and others to pressure their peers.
> >
> >or just filter
>
> Unfortunately, most customers expect connecting to the entire Internet,
> not just the parts that are smart and courteous enough to aggregate.
> Since most networks are in business to make money, they do what their
> customers want.  Unless all networks filter alike, customers will
> migrate to the ones with the "best" connectivity.  Given that some
> networks cannot even aggregate properly, I submit it is impossible to
> get all networks to filter alike.

And given how desperate for business most companies selling IP transit to
multihomed customers are right now, do you really want to be the one not
carrying the ~ 30k more specifics that everyone else is? Only if you don't
like being picked as a best path...

> So perhaps we should find a better way to encourage aggregation than
> hurting our business and customers?  Anyone have a suggestion?  Maybe
> public humiliation at NANOG? :)

The problem is, most of the people involved wouldn't even understand the
humiliation...

> P.S. Before you tell me the Internet will crash if we do not slow or
> reverse the table growth, just don't.  It might, it might not, but it
> certainly will not happen tomorrow or even this year.  After hearing
> the doomsday prognostications over the table growth for close to a
> decade now without the Internet falling over, it's just getting old.

If by crash you mean someone might have to upgrade their poorly designed
router or router-like device with a bizaare memory limit (hi MSFC1), then
yes it could happen. :) Also, while syncing up one bgp feed might not be
that big of an issue, try bouncing a dozen bgp sessions at once (as in a
reboot) and time how long everything takes to converge...

You know, you would be hard pressed to find a $500 server with less than
1G of ram these days, but people are still routing with hardware which
can't take more than 128MB. Why vendors feel the need to design route
processors which are barely upgradable in RAM, not upgradable in
processing power, and at best 24-36 months behind the times of the
technology the Dell Interns are pushing for $499, is beyond me.