Re: Upcoming change to SOA values in .com and .net zones

  • From: Gerald
  • Date: Thu Jan 08 12:01:35 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Rob Pickering wrote:

> Noted, but the large number of rabid posts on nanog about said minor
> change doesn't exactly make it *harder* for them to propagate the
> "200 zealots" theory!

I don't think 24 hours is bad turnaround time to educate all of the people
who tossed out possible concerns about the change. That's what I call
educating efficiently. (Corporations sometimes take much longer to make as
much progress as we do in 24 hours.)

Verisign could have used NANOG to speed up the change if they had asked
the question slightly different:

- We are planning on changing the serial numbers from x to y. Please let
us know any reasonable issues we should be concerned about with this
change. If we do not receive any response we will make the change on
$date.

As it stands, all of the (non)issues that have been raised have been
addressed. (if the concerned parties are reading their E-mail) Verisign
could ask tomorrow if there are any more issues to consider, or if anyone
directly affected by this change needs more time. Using interaction with
the community to their advantage, they could introduce an idea, get
feedback, and make a simple change within 72 hours.

As for the whole "zealot" comments, it is my job to ask the questions
about things others try to gloss over. I don't think it is right to
chastise anyone for wanting to know more just to clear a concern. You wind
up with a group of people afraid to speak and won't tell you when you are
about to do something stupid. Anyone who uses that term is effectively
getting on to you for using your own brain instead of following the
crowd. The opposite of "zealot" is "lemming".

Gerald