Re: Wirespeed 24-port L3 switches

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Thu Jan 08 10:38:58 2004

I think you are expecting too much from a 24 port switch.  All these
devices are meant to sell at a "price" and most of the buyers are using
the L3 features as a checklist elimination option and in my experience
most of these switches are never used as anything other than a dumb L2
switch but the purchaser feels good because they have a "Manageable" "L3"
switch the fact that these features are not configured in their
installations notwithstanding.

Also the manufacturers do not want to cannibalize the sales of higher end
products so the cheap ones tend to have limited functionality.

This community is a exception and we really do configure the features and
expect them to work.

                            Scott C. McGrath