Re: Upcoming change to SOA values in .com and .net zones

  • From: Ian Mason
  • Date: Thu Jan 08 07:49:44 2004

At 00:01 08/01/2004, Ian Mason wrote:

At Wed, 7 Jan 2004 17:46:23 -0500, Matt Larson wrote:

VeriSign Naming and Directory Services will change the serial number
format and "minimum" value in the .com and .net zones' SOA records on
or shortly after 9 February 2004.
[snip]

  But because these
zones are widely used and closely watched, we want to let the Internet
community know about the changes in advance.
Matt, was it not possible for Verisign to give more than 30 hours notice of these changes? This is an Internet-wide change that will very likely break some systems somewhere. Surely more notice would have been reasonable.

The notice actually given is so short as to be almost worthless. It might have raised Verisign's moral stock around here if more notice had been given, or even some consultation issued. As it is, Verisign seem to have moved in a way that, yet again, is likely to convince the community of Verisign's apparent arrogance and contempt towards the rest of us. Sad.
Whoops, here I sit with egg on my face. My excuse for misreading the date was it was late in the day here after a busy evening.

I unreservedly apologize for my haste in condemning Verisign and withdraw my remarks.

I shall now go and penitentially stand in the very heavy rain and wind that England is enjoying today.

Ian