Topics for NANOG30

  • From: Susan Harris
  • Date: Mon Jan 05 14:30:29 2004

Hi everyone - here are the presentations we've planned so far for NANOG 30
in Miami, Feb. 8-10.  The "**" talks are ones we've scheduled to CELEBRATE
OUR 10th ANNIVERSARY (!)

                              SUNDAY TUTORIALS
                              ----------------

Customer-Triggered Real-Time Black Holes
    Level: Introductory
    Chris Morrow, UUNET, Tim Battle, AT&T

Provider-Provisioned Virtual Private Networks
    Level: Introductory
    Ina Minei, Juniper

MPLS Fast Reroute
    Level: Intermediate/Advanced
    Joe Soricelli, Juniper

	              GENERAL SESSION (Monday - Tuesday)
                      ** = 10th Anniversary Presentations
                      -----------------------------------

** "End-to-end, Spam, and DoS: Threats to the Model That Made the Internet
    Great"
       Phil Karn, QUALCOMM

** "10 Years of Corporate Change in the NANOG & IP Backbone Community"
       Martin Levy, moderator; John Curran, XO Communications;
       and Doug Humphrey

** "A Short History of the 'Net"
       Scott Bradner, Harvard

** "Where We've Been and Where We're Headed," a special panel moderated
       by Sue Hares with guests Van Jacobsen, Paul Francis, et al.

**  "A Decade of Technology Pitfalls and Successes"
       Dino Farinacci, Procket

**  "Where Did the NAPs Come From and When Did They Turn Into Exchange
     Points?"
       Steve Feldman, CNET

"Internet Exchange Operator Panel"
   Celeste Anderson, USC LAAP, moderator

"Making Sense of BGP"
   Tina Wong, Van Jacobson, Cengiz Alaettinoglu, Packet Design

"Hot Potatoes Heat Up BGP Routing"
   Renata Teixeira, UCSD; Aman Shaikh, AT&T; Tim Griffin, Intel;
   Jennifer Rexford, AT&T

"Root Cause Analysis of Internet Routing Dynamics"
   Matthew C. Caesar, L. Subramanian, and R.H. Katz, UC Berkeley

"Listen and Whisper: Security Mechanisms for BGP"
   L. Subramanian, V. Roth, I. Stoica, S. Shenker, and R.H. Katz, UC Berkeley

"Real-time Global Routing Metrics"
   Jim Cowie, Andy T. Ogielski, B.J. Premore, Eric A. Smith, &
   Todd Underwood, Renesys

"Airborne Contagion: Effects of a Worm on Wireless Networking"
   Christopher Chin, UC Berkeley

"How to Kill Worms and Viruses with Policy Pontifications"
   Scott Bradner, Harvard

"Analysis of the DDoS Attack Against SCO"
   David Moore and Colleen Shannon, CAIDA

"IAB Concerns About Permanent Deployment of Edge-Based Filtering"
   Itojun Hagino, IETF Internet Architecture Board

"Roundup of Global RIR Statistics"
   Ray Plazk, ARIN

"BGP Testing: Why Be so Negative?"
   Brent Imhoff, Wiltel; Scott Poretsky, Quarry

RESEARCH FORUM

"Achievable Comprehensive Delay Reporting from Routers"
   Darryl Veitch, Sprintlabs

"Synchronising Software Clocks on the Internet"
   Darryl Veitch, Sprintlabs

"A Distributed Control Plane Architecture to Support Millisecond Routing
   Convergence"
   Hormuzd Khosravi, Intel

"Nemecis: A Tool to Analyze the IRR Registries"
   Georgos Siganos, UC Riverside

                        MONDAY EVENING BOFs

ISP Security and NSP-SEC BOF V
  Barry Raveendran Greene, Cisco, moderator

Peering BOF VII
  Bill Norton, Equinix, moderator

See you soon, and don't forget to register (and to join in the anniversary
festivities, bring your old t-shirts, buttons, banners, and hats):

	https://www.merit.edu/nanog/registration.form.html