Re: MS's new antispam idea

  • From: Doug Luce
  • Date: Fri Dec 26 14:42:08 2003

It's too easy to introduce a worm that gives a spammer access to many
teraflops of unwittingly collaborative computing resources.  I can't
imagine a compute-intensive puzzle scheme is going to do much more than
the average iteration of a rule-based anti-spam filter.  They'll just
provide a temporary dent in the total spam flow.

A reliance on new puzzles to provide obstacles to such spammers will
end up being very close to homomorphic to rule-based filter
iterations.  Perhaps even a little less useful, as the spammers will
not need to analyze and change each individual bit of spam, but merely
need to reload the distributed sending cluster with the new solvers.

Microsoft could indeed wipe out spam, in the short and long run.  And
they can do so without schemes that are likely to end up building upon
the substantial plaque that already clogs the arteries of the net.

Doug