Re: Out of office/vacation messages

  • From: Richard Welty
  • Date: Thu Dec 25 15:40:59 2003

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 14:18:46 -0600 "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark Prior wrote:
> >
> > Why do so many supposedly clueful people have their vacation message
> > system respond to mailing list email?
> >
> > Now I'll get to see who also doesn't keep a list of addresses that have
> > already been sent the out of office message :-)

> Among the ones I found when I looked into the question with some
> rigor a few years ago were that mailing list traffic often no longer
> has a useful "precedence" value that was used to screen such mail.

nanog has a clear Precedence: bulk line in the header which is
the defacto standard for handling this, so that can't be it.

i think it's basically clueless IT staffs trying to reinvent a wheel
that's been invented, usually badly, billions and billions of times
over the past 30 or so years.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         [email protected]