Re: Extreme spam testing

  • From: Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Date: Mon Dec 22 11:09:39 2003

Chris Brenton wrote:

> Greets again all,
>
> I noticed something kind of interesting when I made my last post to
> NANOG. I can understand people wanting to do spam checking, but IMHO
> this is a bit excessive and inconsiderate.
>
> I'm guessing njabl.org is doing this to everyone who posts to the list,
> so I thought others might want to know about it in case they have not
> noticed it in their own logs. BTW, if you are curious about the
> "spammers_waste_oxygen" portion, that was grabbed off my SMTP banner.

Yep, and see below.

> Dec 22 08:21:50 mailgate sendmail[492]: hBMDLnHS000492:
> before-reporting-as-abuse-please-see-www.njabl.org [209.208.0.15] did
> not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
> Dec 22 08:21:50 mailgate sendmail[495]: hBMDLoHS000495:
> ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<[email protected]>, relay=rt.njabl.org
> [209.208.0.15], reject=550 5.7.1 <[email protected]>... Relaying

Um, welcome to the world of spam nazis. I hate spammers. I loathe and
despise them. I hate njabl even more. The last time I called their ISP to
complain, I was assured that I must have done something to deserve the
aggressive testing. Well, nope, I didn't, and I don't. They just did it
again, and by "it", I mean that they hit every machine in my little
netblock (I suppose the last post to nanog did it). If they were just
picking on the machine I posted from, it'd annoy me, but I'd get over it.
Why they feel the need to abuse machines that I've NEVER sent email from,
to anywhere, is beyond me.

Sure, I recognize that I'm in a block frequented by clueless wonders (i.e.
DSL), but it isn't dynamic, I've had it for a while now, and it's never
been implicated during the time I've had it. In addition, I think that a
post to nanog should not get such treatment. Isn't it bad enough that
posting to the Full Disclosure mailing list has added to my spam level by a
thousand percent? Sigh.

--
Open source should be about giving away things voluntarily. When
you force someone to give you something, it's no longer giving, it's