Re: AS Path Loops in practice ?

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Fri Dec 12 10:41:41 2003

--- "Stephen J. Wilcox" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > 3) One advantage of using a public, albeit common,
> customer ASN is that if a
> > customer has RIR-allocated space, those IPs will
> make it onto the global
> > table, and will not suffer the filtering which may
> be present for the
> > provider's own routes.
>
> Ok this seems to be a difference, altho not sure why
> the custs IPs should need
> to do anything different from the providers IPs as
> presumably both need to be
> reachable from everywhere?

There are providers out there who treat $PEER
differently from $CUSTOMER_OF_PEER, with regard to
aggregation etc.

Also, I believe that there used to be providers who
would dampen routes on a per-AS basis, rather than on
a per-route basis.  I am not sure whether anyone still
does this.

=====
David Barak
-fully RFC 1925 compliant-