Re: AS Path Loops in practice ?

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Tue Dec 09 09:15:31 2003

* [email protected] (Ben Crocker) [Tue 09 Dec 2003, 10:44 CET]:
[..]
> In our case a customer using BGP to our network from the same AS in two
> locations but not running an IGP between them (our's is not to reason
> why and all that)

A commonly accepted definition of AS is as follows:-
| An Autonomous System (AS) is a connected group of one or more IP
| prefixes run by one or more network operators under a *single* and
| clearly defined routing policy.
[emphasis mine]

One cannot have discontiguous networks in the same ASN.  It's pretty
simple: two routing policies, two ASes, two ASNs.  Unfortunately you
weren't able to convince your customer of this.

As you showed, it can be configured.  More power to Vendor J for giving
us all the choice to do so, but that still rarely makes it a good idea.

	-- Niels.

--
                   the generation that used acid to escape reality
                      is now using antacid to deal with reality