Re: AS Path Loops in practice ?

  • From: Ben Crocker
  • Date: Tue Dec 09 04:46:32 2003

The "J" vendor expects to see these this when receiving BGP routes, there is a switch in their software to allow this to put the routes into the forwarding table. Their explanation was that the RFC actually said that it was the receiving hosts job to decide what to do with this not that it was forbidden in the RFC to advertise them to anybody (And as Mr Rekhter worked/works for them I kinda thought they would be right).

In our case a customer using BGP to our network from the same AS in two locations but not running an IGP between them (our's is not to reason why and all that) so they wanted us to advertise their own routes to them which we accomplished by putting them into a peer group on the "C" router they where connected to (which circumvents the as-path checks (as well as those checking if it is advertising routes back to the originator) ,or at least did at the time).

Couple o links showing what J are talking about.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos60/swconfig60- routing/html/bgp-summary4.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos60/swconfig60- routing/html/bgp-config48.html