Peering BOF VII at NANOG 30 in Miami

  • From: William B. Norton
  • Date: Fri Dec 05 17:37:33 2003

Hi again -

We have approval to run the Peering BOF again at the upcoming NANOG 30 in Miami ! Appropriate attire (Hawaiian Shirts) is required ;-)

So, now my job is to draft Peering Coordinators to stand up, introduce themselves, say a few words about their peering requirements, why you should peer with them, etc. in order to facilitate peering. While you introduce yourself I will have a screen behind you that has the answers to the questions below. At the end of the BOF we break for beers and, if history is any indication, peering coordinators meet each other, exchange cards and get some direct peering going.

BTW - This time we may add an agenda topic, perhaps a brief debate
"Tier 1 Peering Policies: Defensible?".
Taking the Affirmative will be _______, taking the Negative will be ______. (Both TBD, debaters being secretly solicited)

Bill

--------------- For Peering Coordinators participating in Peering Personals ---------------

The Peering BOF focuses on meeting other Peering Coordinators using a methodology we call "Peering Personals." We solicit Peering Coordinators (before the meeting), asking them to characterize their networks and peering policies in general ways ("content heavy" or "access (eyeball) -heavy," "Multiple Points Required" or "Will Peer anywhere," "Peering with Content OK," etc.). From the answers we will select a set of ISP Peering Coordinators to present a 2-3 minute description of their network, what they look for in a peer, etc., allowing the audience to put a face with the name of the ISP.

At the end of the Peering BOF, Peering Coordinators will have time to speak with Peering Coordinators of ISPs they seek to interconnect with. The expectation is that these interactions will lead to the Peering Negotiations stage, the first step towards a more fully meshed and therefore resilient Internet.

If you are a Peering Coordinator and wish to participate in this BOF, please fill out the following form and e-mail it to

[email protected] with