Re: Firewall stateful handling of ICMP packets

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Thu Dec 04 02:16:24 2003

--On Wednesday, December 3, 2003 10:53 PM -0500 [email protected] wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:57:37 PST, Owen DeLong <[email protected]>  said:

around.  (In fact, I'm hard pressed to imagine how a Frag needed packet
for an invalid session could do much of anything).
You can use a forged 'frag needed' to stomp an existing connection of the
victim's down to 64 byte MTU or similar silliness, but other than sheer
"it's a packet" DDoS effects, I can't think of a malicious use for one for
an invalid session either....
Agreed. However, the former pretty much requires knowledge, a lot of packets,
or a really lucky set of guesses.

Owen