Re: MTU path discovery and IPSec

  • From: David Sinn
  • Date: Wed Dec 03 12:51:37 2003

Do not just blame random company's firewall's for dumping ICMP.  There are
some very well known hosting groups that filter ICMP on edge of their
network's in their routers.

It gets even worse when their server admin's decide to leave PMTU discovery
on.  Sort of defeats the purpose...

Given the nastiness of ICMP DDoS attacks of late, it might be better to hit
the server and client admin's with the clue bat about not using PMTU
discovery (which also extends to the writers of the App's and OS's).  Frag.
is in the fast path of just about every current version of brand C code, so
giving the tunneling folks the OK to frag the packet might be preferred to
forcing them to mess about with alternate options.

David