Re: WLAN shielding

  • From: Howard C. Berkowitz
  • Date: Tue Dec 02 17:01:41 2003

At 9:51 PM -0500 11/26/03, Sean Donelan wrote:
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, David Lesher wrote:
 > My company is investigating the use of wireless in a couple of our
 > conference rooms.  Aside from limiting the scope of reception with various
 > directional antennae, does anyone have any suggestions or pointers for
 > other ways to limit the propagation of signals (i.e. special shielding
 > paint, panels or other wall coatings)?

 As I told Andy, you need a "RayProof" or similar brand shielded
 conference room. This is Faraday Cage, with a tight-fighting door,
 etc.
Uhm, dumb question.  If it is that important, why are you using
wireless at all?  Why not install a cheap switch/hub in the middle of the
conference table and let people plug a patch cord from the hub to their
laptops?

Stupid pen-test tricks, instead of using an expensive WiFi scanner and
cracking WEP; often you can collect better intelligence with a radio
turned to the frequency used by wireless lapel mics used by executives
during briefings.
Or by lecturers forgetting them as they went to the bathroom. I only did that once.