Re: incorrect spam setups cause spool messes on forwarders

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Mon Dec 01 16:06:57 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Right.  Assuming that the described validation scheme is, in fact,
> what's being used, you'd expect Verizon's mailer to retain and cache
> the validation.  That way, a single 450 can be turned into a 200 series
> or a 550.

Also imagine your domain being joe-jobbed.  You, as an innocent bystander,
then get hammered by Verizon as they try to do a lookup on possibly
millions of incoming mails.

It's just not a very sane way to reduce their spamload.  It's something
I'd expect from a smaller ISP, but I would have imagined by now that VZ
would have the money to go with something like Brightmail, or develop
something in-house like AOL.

Charles