Re: Have worm? University upgrades network

  • From: warner
  • Date: Sun Nov 30 18:47:00 2003

Sean Donelan said

> On the other hand, California State-Long Beach is planning to upgrade
> its network to deal with the worms.
>

> http://www.csulb.edu/~d49er/archives/2003/fall/news/volLIVno49-dorm.shtml

While Sean's interpretation draws reasonable inference from the cited
article, the particular upgrade we've been told about will use
some L2 intercept boxes to scan user computers at the time they attempt
to connect to the LB net.  They seem to be referring to the installation
of the authentication/scanning boxes as part of the network upgrade.
The hope/plan is that web redirection for software fixits through
an appropriate campus download page will preceed releasing full
internet services to the users.

I don't think that CSULB is going to add capacity to deal with the
icmp scans.  Rather they are hopeful that they can use this as a
clean up strategy.

What we (UC Santa Cruz) share with LB is the vendor that will be
adding scanning to their net-auth box: Perfigo.  We have heard of
the LB plans indirectly through the vendor, but in the context of
the article, it all fits.

-jim warner, UC Santa Cruz

---