RE: Increase in traffic to/from DSL subs since August?

  • From: Gary Attard
  • Date: Fri Nov 21 10:13:21 2003

Improperly patched machines infected with Nachi (aka Welchia) have been
noted transmitting in excess of 500,000 ICMP echo requests via Class B
alphabet lookups per hour. The one characteristic of Nachi that simplifies
the identification of the infected machines is the fact that each of these
echo requests are 92 byte pings. Any monitoring tools or packet sniffers
configured to look for these 92 byte pings will greatly simplify the
identification of the specific source addresses.