Re: Increase in traffic to/from DSL subs since August?

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Thu Nov 20 21:29:53 2003

Steven M. Bellovin writes on 11/20/2003 4:28 PM:

At the IETF Plenary, Bernard Aboba showed a graph of spam, with a marked uptick since SoBig.F in August. My guess is worm-deposited spam
relays, though Joel's guess of Nachi or Welchia can't be ruled out, either, without flow data.
A ballpark estimate from a couple of friends who run small cable ISPs in India, and from a look at our mailserver log stats, says that yes, this is mostly because of open proxies and trojans infecting unpatched windows machines on broadband. Swen, MiMail and Jeem.mail.pv seem to be the worst offenders wrt spamming trojans, right now.

Nachi and Welchia are almost as bad. I'd say blame can be split equally between the two.

--
srs (postmaster|suresh)@outblaze.com // gpg : EDEDEFB9
manager, outblaze.com security and antispam operations