Re: [nsp] Re: Per VLAN Stats on MSFC2 - Complaints from the Field

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Thu Nov 20 18:45:40 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Gert Doering wrote:
> This is all nice and shiny, but having shortcuts doesn't mean "the L2
> fabric can't export the resulting numbers up to the L3 brain".
>
> They just botched it.  Counters and Cisco boxes seem to be fundamentally
> incompatible.

I was under the impression that the information you want is lost once the
packets are being forwarded by the switch which is using some hashing on the
src and dst details which doesnt tie back to the L3 data in a one-to-one
basis...

Anyway, on a similar thread that doesnt explain why mac accounting cant be used
which I used to find very useful on non p2p interfaces...

Steve