Re: New IANA IPv4 Allocations

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Wed Nov 19 08:49:36 2003

On 11/19/03 6:40 AM, "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Bruce Campbell wrote:

>>> After we get IANA in the habit of publishing an annoucement when it
>>> allocates a new IPv4 block to the RIRs, then we can work on improving
>>> the process.
>>
>> At least when I've been watching, the IANA/ICANN borg has made a public
>> post about new allocations being made to the RIRs to NANOG (and other
>> forums) within a reasonable timeframe.
>>
>> I think that one problem here is that team Cymru, with their every half
>> hour page scraper of interesting sites, manages to beat the authoritative
>> people to the punch each time as team Cymru simply do not have the same
>> unseen formalities that the IANA/RIRs need to go through.
>>
>> As long as RobT continues to be an amusing speaker, I'm not too worried ;)
>
> Amusing?  He qualifies as the worst speaker that I've seen in a long time,
> if I want to see a monkey, I'll go to the zoo.
>
> Henk

> Henk Uijterwaal                             Email: [email protected]
> RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
> P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
> 1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
> The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746
>
> That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)

Of course, we don't want to get into a debate on the relative merits of
NANOG or RIPE speakers on this list, but given this comment...

Rob Thomas is an excellent speaker. He has his own distinctive style, but
the best speakers do. Many NANOG and RIPE speakers are, to put in likely, a
bit dull. Given the subject matter, this is excusable, but we should be
happy to see the occasional speaker like Rob or Bill Norton, who is willing
to take the extra effort to inject a vein of humor or excitement into their
talks.

Its easy to throw stones, but if one is truly unhappy with the quality of
speakers at NANOG, their course of action is clear - immediately submit a
speaking proposal to Susan.

- Daniel Golding