Re: Point of sale RAS hardware?

  • From: Lanny Godsey
  • Date: Thu Nov 13 13:34:10 2003

> Does anyone know of a good RAS product that supports the fast train
> times needed for point of sale terminals (specifically the ability to
> turn off data compression, error detection, and speed negotiation)?
> Most every one I've seen is aimed at serving as-fast-as-possible
> dialup
> network access to normal modems, but I need something that will do
> 1200bps (or even better yet, v.22FC) with no frills.
>
> Can anyone suggest a product or manufacturer?

We use the Cisco AS5400 in which you can enable/disable any option as
you see fit using resource pooling.

We use it to support KFLEX modems which fail to connect properly w/ the
v.92 tones.  The way it deterimes which settings to use is based on
called station id.

We also find modems that try to to retain to highest speed tend to
reach the limit and drop the connection.  Most of our customers are in
rural areas w/ poor quality phone lines.
We found it was easier to create resource groups to lock people to
21000 baud via setting their connection number than giving the customer
init strings to limit the connection that way.  Sure there are probably
better solutions, but this has solved nearly all connection problems
we've seen.

I realize you may end up not using cisco, but I'll include a small
example just in case it's useful to anyone.

IOS (tm) 5400 Software (C5400-IS-M), Version 12.3(1a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)

resource-pool enable
!
resource-pool group resource MICA-modems
 range port 1/0 1/107
 range port 2/0 2/107
 range port 3/0 3/107
 range port 4/0 4/107
 range port 5/0 5/107
 range port 6/0 6/107
!
resource-pool profile customer any
 limit base-size all
 limit overflow-size all
 resource isdn-ports digital
 resource MICA-modems speech service any
 dnis group default
!
resource-pool profile customer v90
 limit base-size all
 limit overflow-size all
 resource MICA-modems speech service v90
 dnis group v90
!
resource-pool profile customer k56flex
 limit base-size all
 limit overflow-size all
 resource MICA-modems speech service k56flex
 dnis group k56flex
!
resource-pool profile customer v34-28800
 limit base-size all
 limit overflow-size all
 resource MICA-modems speech service v34-28800
 dnis group v34-28800
!
resource-pool profile service v90
 modem min-speed any max-speed 56000 modulation v90
!
resource-pool profile service k56flex
 modem min-speed any max-speed any modulation k56flex
!
resource-pool profile service v34-28800
 modem min-speed any max-speed 28800 modulation v34
!
resource-pool profile service any
dialer dnis group v90
 number 2533219668