re: This may be stupid but

  • From: Don Mills
  • Date: Thu Nov 13 09:44:39 2003

I just had to respond to this thread and throw my 2 cents in.  I can certainly
see the frustration of hiring managers (having done so myself) that receive a
load of resumes full of "certified" individuals who don't know squat.  That
is what a tech interview is for, though isn't it?  Unfortunately to get to
that interview you need a bit of flash to get your foot in the door.  The
world is as full of people claiming to be a linux guru as it is of MCSE's.  I
think some certs at least show that you are capable of learning, and some of
the higher level ones show that you are capable of understanding/using
concepts as well.
Now I freely admit to being a cert collector/whore - I just do it for fun
nowadays but I am willing to back every bit of it up in a tech interview - in
fact I normally ask to tech interview with the heads of the unix, security,
AND networking groups to prove I know what I claim to know (and I'm pretty
sure I could pass as a high-level Microsoft guy if I desired).  But it would
be a tragic mistake on anyone's behalf to pre-assume that all those letters
means I don't know what I am talking about.  That's stereotyping, isn't it?
--
Don Mills
SCSA SCNA CCNP CCDP