Re: Router with 2 (or more) interfaces in same network

  • From: sthaug
  • Date: Tue Nov 11 12:59:58 2003

> You _used_ to be able to do this (oh, over two years ago?). The address
> was assigned to the interface, and the error from trying to add a duplicate
> route was simply ignored, no route got added anywhere. You can figure out
> when the change was made by examining the code or by seeing when the
> maillists started to get flooded by people who could no longer do,
>
>   # ifconfig if0 inet 10.0.0.1
>   # ifconfig if0 alias 10.0.0.2
>
> When they meant,
>
>   # ifconfig if0 inet 10.0.0.1
>   # ifconfig if0 alias 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xffffffff

There is a difference, of course - Cisco is perfectly happy to let
you do

int fa0
 ip addr 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
 ip addr 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 secondary

I never could understand why this should be impossible in FreeBSD.

But I guess this discussion is no longer NANOG relevant :-)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email protected]