Re: [Re: This may be stupid but.. ]

  • From: Timothy R. McKee
  • Date: Mon Nov 10 11:53:39 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 11:36, joshua sahala wrote:
> "Peter Galbavy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Acronyms mean sh*t. When involved in any hiring process, I actively
> > avoid CCIE/MSCE/etc. laden resumes. Mentioning once, fine. Using them
> > like religious phrases is an indictation of, well, stupidity.
>
> certifications are often necessary to open the door - granted if you
> were architecting internetworks when many of today's certified
> 'engineers' were still in grade school, then no, certifications are
> probably not needed.

I consider myself one of the 'old guys' and all the experience in the
world doesn't mean &%*$&%*$ to a recruiter OR a company hiring manager
if you don't have the magic initials they've heard about behind your
name.  I was always too busy doing my 'real job' making the customers
happy so I never spent time getting 'useless' certifications or
developing networking relationships with other professionals for later
use.

Those of you with jobs, be very careful not to be lured into that trap.
You've got to think of your future first and foremost.  No one else
will.

Tim McKee

--
Timothy R. McKee <[email protected]>