Re: Web hijacking by router - a new method of advertisement by Belkin

  • From: todd glassey
  • Date: Fri Nov 07 20:06:30 2003

William - there may be legal recourse here - What I think Belkin has just
done is provided precedent for anyone trying to beat any Online Case by
their saying "it was the router"...  and then the ISP would have to prove
that there was no problem in the routers and that they were not rewriting
the headers of the datagrams or packets under software control, either
intentionally or by some hacker attacking the Router and implementing a IOS
rule or replacement in the IOS OS environment.

Either way this is really bad news for Law Enforcement unless they react
quickly and put legislation in place to prevent anyone from rewriting a
request or misrepresenting the request address translation. In fact this may
already be covered under the Super DCMA laws in a couple of states because
the router or DNS lookup effectively changes the IP addresses from what they
"were intended to be"...

Just an amusing idea.

Todd