Web hijacking by router - a new method of advertisement by Belkin

  • From: william
  • Date: Fri Nov 07 19:30:30 2003

I have just read this on the register and followed it up on usenet:
   http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=BvSqb.24184%24jW5.427571%40twister.tampabay.rr.com&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dnews.admin.net-abuse.email
   http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=c91e821d.0311051525.70aa9920%40posting.google.com

It seems folks at Belkin followed up on verisign concept and implemented
web redirection for marketing purposes (web request hijacking) on the
router itself. There they did not even bother about mispelled domains or
bad requests and just decided that every 8 hours it would be ok to
replace your original webrequest (from any computer connected through that
router) with one going to their own server advertising their product/service.
How original of them! But for other router manufactures present on this
list, make notice - DO NOT DO IT IN YOUR OWN PRODUCT EVER. I (and from
newsgrousp there are appears to be many others with same opinion about it)
do not want routers modifying my network packets without my knowledge
about it and definetly not for marketing of your own products.

In the mean time after this post, I'm off to datacenter room to look for
any belkin products I can spot, after that follow up to Fry's would be
necessary to buy replacements.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks