Re: 24-port Gigabit + two 10Gb uplinks

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Thu Nov 06 18:36:14 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> It looks like 24*1Gb + 2*10Gb switches will be showing up soon:
>
> http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?site=lightreading&doc_id=43109
>
> http://www.sandburst.com/Releases/AcctonPartners.pdf
>
> Sandburst and Accton are offering a white-box/OEM 24 port switch with two
> 10Gb uplinks...
> "The resulting system could sell for around $20,000, Sandburst officials say."
>
> Certainly not as cheap as a 2950 with two Gb ports, but this is the start
> of an entirely new generation of edge switches.  Does anyone want to hazard
> a guess as how long it will be before 24+10Gb switches are selling for $1,500?
> 3 years?

accton sells 24port 1000t managed switches for around $2200. If they can
reduce the cost by half every year the 10GB model will cost as much as the
1gb model does now in about three years... the real question for me is
what are 850nm and 1310/1550nm xenpaks going to cost in three years. we
pays around $350 for sfp lx gbics and around $150 for sx, but the effects
of commodization haven't quite set in on xenpacks yet,

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email protected]