RE: Copper 10 gigabit @ 15 metres

  • From: Henry Linneweh
  • Date: Wed Nov 05 20:01:39 2003

Anyway before this becomes a bunch of different language, here is a page
to keep you posted on 10GigE development and some of the players
http://www.10gea.org/

Deepak Jain <[email protected]> wrote:

At the risk of over simplifying this.

1) Deploying anything 4x faster than what you need is not cost-effective, ever. Even deploying GE where 2xFE would work is more expensive.

2a) If (again, thinking IXes here) you are offloading most of your locally sourced traffic to peers at an IX, you may be able to use >OC48 connect speeds
without needing your backbone to actually pass 20+Gb/s. Everyone has a different network design, so it really depends. Guys who push can use 10GE sooner (IMO) than guys that pull because of the IX case here.

  b) Cable networks and networks where most of the traffic is internal or to a few large peers could benefit here too.

3a ) Anyone who doesn't have 5Gb/s of aggregate traffic probably doesn't have the peer density to send more than 2Gb/s to a single IX or peer anyway. (see #1).
  b) In the case where at a single point you need more than 1-2Gb/s per peer, you may want to deploy 10GE or something similar because you have sufficient capacity to handle another peering location to fail entirely for an extended period of time without (hopefully) affecting bandwidth to your peer. There are some assumptions here, so YMMV.

Fortunately, no one is requiring anyone to use this, yet...

Deepak Jain
AiNET