RE: Copper 10 gigabit @ 15 metres

  • From: Henry Linneweh
  • Date: Wed Nov 05 19:06:09 2003

The backbone at the time of my original work that I participated in was 40Gits/in and 40Gbits/out unless that has changed 10GigE is not practical or cost effective if it is limited to local area's and provate connections. That doesn't mean from A design
perspective that A cost effective solution has already been designed, the position
of the market and the cost per megabit for most companies is not there, most
companies now do 2.5Gbits bi-diectioonally for 5Gbits and barely use all of that.

-Henry

Deepak Jain <[email protected]> wrote:

> > While there are some smitherings about 10GigE, there are
> technical reasons and
> > market reasons it is not really ready for prime yet, that is
> not to say it's not going
> > to happen, it is just not going happen now.
> >

> Some people are using it in the MAN and WAN now though.

Exactly. At the EQIX/ASH GPF Telia and AOL both said they were using 10GE
cross-connects for private peering. So that means at least 3-4 major
networks are using them in production in a LAN, MAN or WAN environment.

When you are aggregating lots of a GEs, there isn't really a great,
cost-effective way to move all of these bits cost-effectively. nxOC48 is
pretty cheap, but a little ugly if you need the bandwidth unchoked. 10GE is
supposed to get there, but at a 10xGE price, not a OC192 type price.

The real advantage of Copper 10G is that eventually you can deploy it to all
the existing copper [inside] plants that people have currently deployed.
Just like GE, it eventually just becomes tolerant enough to use existing
wiring. I would be very happy if the first boxes that came out with these
long range xenpaks were muxes that would take 10xGE -> 1x10GE -- this would
solve the uplink problem from smaller gear in a heartbeat.

Deepak Jain
AiNET