Re: Hijacked IP space.

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Tue Nov 04 03:34:56 2003

1. RIRs don't sell address space or make any claim of the merchantability,
routability, or functionality of the address space they hand out.

2. RIRs assets do not include the unregistered addresses. They are not
transferrable and have no book value.

As such, it would be difficult for an RIR customer to successfully sue. Most
likely if they explained the problems to the RIR, they could trade for a less
impacted block, but, suing the RIR is unlikely to accomplish much. The RIR
afterall, only provided a registration service to show in a public database
that as far as the particular RIR was concerned, those integers were unique
to the network operator in question. They make no claims about the actions
of others WRT those addresses, they just promise not to issue them to someone
else.

Owen