Re: Hijacked IP space.

  • From: Ray Wong
  • Date: Mon Nov 03 17:14:39 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 04:47:44PM -0500, Chris Lewis wrote:

[ re: 204.89.0/21...]
> >>No announcement for that block has been visible here at any time in
> >>the past couple of weeks (specifically, since Oct 13). We might have
> >>missed it if it was never announced for more than a few minutes at a
> >>time, but it's _much_ more likely that the block was never announced
> >>and was merely forged into headers of a spam.
>
> >Our system reports that neither that prefix, nor any of its
> >more-specifics, has been seen in the global routing tables at
> >any moment since January 1st, 2002.  [ http://www.renesys.com ]
>
> We haven't seen anything from that block in our spamtrap either for at
> least a week.
>
> The .224/24, on the other hand, it a real sewer.

Correct.  Unfortunately, that's my old block and I wasn't quite ready to
hand it back since I'd sort of wanted to announce it again.  I've been
trying to chase down C&W as the upstream of AS 30080, the jokers who've
been pulling this stuff for quite some time with other blocks.  My
POC updates to ARIN keep getting rejected, so yes, it looks like an
abandoned block with an old netcom.com address.

I'm starting to figure that, given the delays, there's been enough damage
done that 204.89.224/24 will never be able to get off the blocking lists
anyway, so perhaps I'll turn it back in afterall. *sigh*  That's what
I get for trying to find low-cost ISPs willing to announce portable
space.

--

Ray Wong
[email protected]