Telstra took 10 days to understand virus, Senate panel told

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Nov 02 23:15:15 2003

Telstra reported on the problems viruses caused its network to a Senate
panel in Australia.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/11/03/1067708121544.html

Telstra took 10 days to understand virus, Senate panel told
Canberra
November 3, 2003

Telstra spent 10 days trying to understand the Swen virus that wreaked
havoc on its BigPond network and left customers without email services, a
Senate committee heard today.

Telstra officials conceded information they were giving BigPond customers
when the virus hit last month changed as they learned more about the
virus.

Regulatory and corporate director Bill Scales said it took Telstra 10 days
to fully understand the problem.
[...]
Mr Scales said Telstra was 99 per cent sure the Swen virus was to blame
for the problems.

"We think it was this Swen virus, we're reasonably sure that it affected
us in Australia more than it affected a number of other countries for a
range of reasons," he said.
[...]