RE: Yankee Group declares core routing obsolete (was Re: Anybodyusing GBICs?)

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Fri Oct 31 20:40:58 2003

> I would be interested in seeing, say, a 7609-GSR or better yet 7609-T640
> bakeoff.  I think that would prove 2 things - 1) you get what you pay for,
> and 2) purpose-built routers are still better at routing heavy loads with
> diverse media.  Sure, the loaded 640 will be more expensive, but it will
> most definitely knock the power supplies off the 7609 in general
> performance.  Perhaps the SUP-720 will change that - I look forward to
> seeing it in our lab, where I may be reconvinced...

If you check out the PDF at this URL:
www.eantc.de/press/pressreleases/sep03/EANTC-Summary-Report-Cisco-GigE-Catal
yst6500-Supervisor720.pdf (I am sure its available elsewhere) You might be
surprised about the SUP720 vs T640 performance for general routing loads.
Obviously if you have a lot of WAN interfaces the 7600/6500 just doesn't
have all of them, but this performance analysis seemed reasonably complete.
I have not seen a similar one for the T640.

Deepak Jain
AiNET