RE: more on filtering

  • From: Matthew Kaufman
  • Date: Fri Oct 31 12:42:01 2003

Tell that to Cisco, Nortel, and any other vendor that can handle huge rates
of traffic that conform to "typical" but, when the pattern of addresses (or
options) in the packets cause the flow cache to thrash, die under loads far
below line rate. (See Cisco's
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/ts_codred_worm.shtml as an example)

Tell that to any router, switch, or end system vendor who recently found out
what happened when a worm forces near-simultaneous arp requests for every
possible address on a subnet.

I'm afraid that those of us building actual networks are forced to do so
using actual hardware that actually exists today, and using actual hardware
that was actually purchased several years ago and which cannot be forklifted
out.

You call the network "obviously broken", I call it "the only one that can be
built today".

Matthew Kaufman
[email protected]