Re: IPv6 NAT

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Fri Oct 31 12:30:52 2003

--On Friday, October 31, 2003 11:43 AM -0500 "Patrick W. Gilmore" <[email protected]> wrote:

-- On Friday, October 31, 2003 08:03 -0800
-- Owen DeLong <[email protected]> supposedly wrote:

There is NO security benefit to NAT/PAT/NAPT.
Disagree.

None of the scanning / infecting viruses could get past a $50 NAT/PAT
device which Joe User brings home and turns on without configuring.

Do not talk about "if they statically NAT...".  Punching holes in
stateful firewalls will cause just as much damage.

Actually, many of the viruses will because they are received via other
mechanisms and create stateful outbound connections that go right past
NAT.

However, the scanners won't get past a STATEFUL INSPECTION firewall,
with or without nat.  You can get a $50 stateful inspection device
without NAT too.  Takes the same configuration effort and usually on
the same devices.  In fact, assuming you have a PC, you probably don't
need to spend $50.  You can get a stateful inspection firewall on your
PC by downloading the ISOs from RedHat (or other LINUX source) for FREE.
Admittedly, the free one takes a little bit of configuration, since
you have to check the box that says "high security".

There is a security benefit
to stateful inspection.
Agreed.  And I doubt anyone on this list would say differently.

Right.  There is NO security benefit to NAT/PAT/NAPT beyond the
stateful inspection.

NAT is harmful to many protocols.  Stateful
inspection is not.
Possibly.  But Joe User will never use those "many protocols".  Plus the
overwhelming majority of protocols are not harmed by NAT.

If you are telling me that Joe User will never use VOIP, then you are
somking from a different internet hooka than the folks at Vonage.  I don't
know which of you is right, but, I know Vonage has enough customers to
say that at least some number of Joe User's are using SIP and RTP
which are among the protocols broken by NAT.  Next?

I would bet a statistically insignificant number of packets on the
Internet (many places to the right of the decimal) are part of those
protocols.

I guess that depends on your measurement method.  Shall we include or not
include in the count the number of packets that are bogusly tunneled
over other protocols in an attempt to circumvent NAT silliness because
it has become an unfortunate fact of life?  Also, depending on who
you ask, P2P filesharing (regardless of your position on the legality,
the technology isn't inherently a bad thing) does not constitute a
statistically insignificant portion of the traffic mix.  A number of
P2P protocols incorporate significant workarounds to deal with NAT.
Many of these workarounds do things which essentially eliminate the
previously defined security benefit and often in a way which makes
things less secure than they would have been without NAT with a good
stateful inspection firewall.

This does not mean we should NAT everything, since I use some of those
protocols.  But if every Joe User had a DLink NAT box in front of his
Winbloze box, the Internet would be a safer place.  And you know it.

I disagree.  I think the better solution to that problem is for every Joe
user to spend that $50 suing Micr0$0ft for their exploding pinto in the
local small claims court.  If that happened, Micr0$0ft would get the
message that there is a cost to doing business they way they have and they
would be forced to change their strategy and fix some of these issues.
That would be $50 much better spent.  Even if Joe user loses his case
in small claims (most likely), making Micr0$0ft play legal whack-a-mole
would still have the desired effect.

For Joe User to go out and get the NAT box requires that Joe User recognize
some level of need for security.  If we can teach Joe User that, then we
ought to be able to teach him to secure the box directly without needing
a $50 device.  Even Windows now has stateful firewall capabilities on
the box.  It's just not that hard.

--
TTFN,
patrick

--
If it wasn't signed, it probably didn't come from me.