Re: Yankee Group declares core routing obsolete (was Re: Anybodyusing GBICs?)

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Thu Oct 30 14:02:05 2003

Hmm. Don't you just love it when folks say things like "Layer 3 Switches are
better than routers". Its very illuminating as to clue level.

I suppose what they were trying to say, is that products that were designed
as switches, but are now running routing code, are superior to products that
were designed as routers, and are running routing code. Of course, this is
demonstrably false.

"Layer 3 Switch" is like "Tier 1 ISP" - meaningless marketing drivel,
divorced from any previous technical meaning.

Sure, gigabit Ethernet switches are great. Sure, they can do some light
routing tasks. But saying, essentially, that "core routers are obsolete, and
should be immediately replaced with somewhat less capable core routers" is
weak. Lets all be thankful they are now using ASICs, though! All that
software based routing was making me nervous - five years ago :)

- Daniel Golding