Re: [arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

  • From: Scott McGrath
  • Date: Wed Oct 29 15:56:27 2003

Life would be much simpler without NAT howver there are non-computer
devices which use the internet to get updates for their firmware that most
of us would prefer not to be globally reachable due to the human error
factor i.e. "Oops forgot a rule to protect X".

The radar on your cruise ship uses an IP network to communicate with the
chartplotter, GPS, depthsounder do you really want _this_ gear globally
reachable via the internet?.   Remember if it's globally reachable it is
subject to compromise.

A good example of this is building control systems which get firmware
updates via FTP!!!! from their maker.  Usually there is no manual system
for updating them offline and allowing them to be disconnected from the
internet  as in my opinion they _should_ be.

NAT is not security just look what you can do with sFlow to identify
machines behind a NAT.   NAT is useful for machines which need to
periodically make a connection to perform some function involving the
network.

This class of devices should not have a globally routable address
because in many cases security on them is less than an afterthought (short
fixed passwords no support for secure protocols, etc)

The other case as pointed out by another poster is overlapping networks
which need NAT until a renumbering can be accomplished.

                            Scott C. McGrath