Re: [arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

  • From: Bruce Pinsky
  • Date: Tue Oct 28 13:36:10 2003

Andy Dills wrote:

| On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 [email protected] wrote:
|

|>The bottom line is that there are three different models
|>which may predict when we run out of IPv4 addresses. The
|>models predict dates ranging from 2022 to 2045. None of
|>the models predict an exact year, they all predict a range
|>of 4 to 8 years and the above dates are the earliest and
|>latest of those ranges.
|

| Ok, so let's assume 2022, for the sake of argument. That is, after all,
| nearly 20 years from now.
|

|>>Does anybody honestly think companies will commit the capex needed to
|>>implement IPv6?
|>
|>Yes, because IPv6 is merely and incremental improvement, not a grand
|>elegant solution to world hunger like ATM. Look at how we managed the
|>incremental step of adding MPLS to our IPv4 networks. It was fairly
|>painless because it uses the same boxes, the same people and the same
|>management systems. And over time, the pain of doing MPLS is reduced
|>because the bugs get worked out.
|

| Yes, but did MPLS require different ASICs?
|

|>Similarly, IPv6 is an incremental change that uses the same boxes,
|>people and management systems.
|

| People need training (but not all that much), management systems need
| rewritten (not majorly), and boxes need hardware replacements to forward
| at line rate (CAPEX ALERT).
|

|>In fact, if you've put MPLS into your core, you only need to worry about
|>IPv6 at the edge from the PE router to the CE router because you can use
|>6PE. The capex is being spent anyway by upgrading boxes to meet capacity
|>needs. You didn't notice it but the new core boxes are all capable of
|>IPv6 with a simple software feature upgrade.
|

| Yes, but there will always be this issue of billions of dollars of
| exisiting, perfectly functional, unable-to-forward-v6-at-linerate routing
| gear. If you have a router completely filled with attached customers, why
| would you upgrade that router? You would buy another one for future new
| customers, but not upgrade the existing one. The new one might forward
| IPv6 at linerate, but the old one still doesn't, and there is still not
| sufficient motivation to upgrade that old router.
|

|>NANOG rarely takes the lead in new product development and driving
|>market demand. Someone else will sort out that problem.
|

| Yes, but the growing consensus among network operators is that IPv6 is a
| waste of time and money, a technology that solved a problem that no longer
| exists.
|
| If we won't sign off on it, these "other people" won't even have a chance
| to.
|

|>I know that I said IPv6 is an incremental change, but the world that it
|>enables is not incremental. Imagine 30 years from now where the majority
|>of people in the developed world have full two-way voice, video, and
|>data communications capability seamlessly integrated into their
|>clothing, their vehicles, their workplace cubicles and their homes. X10
> [...]

While this may be NANOG, that's a pretty U.S.-centric point of view.  The
appetite for technology and connectivity in Asian countries is
mind-boggling.  If just 50% of the college students in China had IP enabled
cell phones, that would be 160 million users.  I don't know if most U.S.
providers have requirements on that kind of scale.

- --
=========
bep