Re: [arin-announce] IPv4 Address Space (fwd)

  • From: william
  • Date: Mon Oct 27 18:10:46 2003

> Does anybody have statistics for assigned-but-not-announced space? I'd be
> willing to bet there will be more and more dead space over the years, and
> in fact quite a bit of "increasing usage" is just churn.
I have these statistics at
http://www.completewhois.com/statistics/ip_statistics.htm

At above page look specifically at the blue part of the graph for assigned-
but-not-allocated space. I actually looked at opposite (assigned & routed
- this I named "routing utilization ratio") as way to determine efficiency
of RIR policies. This ratio is very high for the new ARIN ip blocks (97%),
but as you pointed above the churn is high for older blocks and only 42%
of allocated space in 192/8 is actively routed. The ratios are in between
around 60%-80% for other old blocks and these numbers both has to do with
allocation policies that were not developed at the time and with churn due
to dead companies. I have done analysis for different time periods, see:
http://www.completewhois.com/statistics/rir_ratios.htm

If you need data on exact amounts, you will need to do your own substraction
use allocation statistics data from
http://www.completewhois.com/bogons/data/allocation-statistics.txt
and substract current use data from
http://www.completewhois.com/bogons/data/data-bgp-announced/ipv4-activeblocks-statistics.txt

> Does anybody honestly think companies will commit the capex needed to
> implement IPv6?
Not without additional benefits. We need either applications that are
working a lot better at ipv6 or we may yet have to see ipv4 space ran out
before it becomes clear to everybody that ipv6 is a must.

---
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
[email protected]