Re: ISPs' willingness to take action

  • From: Brian Bruns
  • Date: Mon Oct 27 13:10:35 2003

Believe it or not, there are.   When I ran a large network at an unnamed
ISP, we ran graphing on certain types of traffic, and an awful lot of our
business customers were doing this - with their home users accessing their
corp exchange servers with no VPN.  The only thing I could guess is that
they weren't willing to hire someone to do things right.

There were certain situations why I had to do this personally.  At the time,
when I took over, there was no Exchange admin, and I was rather clueless on
how to manage Exchange, so for quite a while I stumbled through trying to
get things working correctly and properly securing it (and several times
severely broke it).  It was several months before I felt comfortable
adjusting the main setup of the server so that it would work fine on my VPN
hookup from the office network to the house.  Its alot different now that I
am familiar with Exchange.

I was trying to get rid of exchange, but with the fact our corp office was a
bunch of idiots who had no idea how to use anything else but outlook, made
it nearly impossible to switch to a pure pop3/smtp setup with an online
calendar and shared address book.

Brian Bruns
Open Solutions For A Closed World / Anti-Spam Resources
http://www.sosdg.org
ICQ: 8077511